Thursday 9 April 2015

April is here...

Wow, I can't believe that we are in April already. The day temperatures are still very good and the evenings and early mornings are a little cooler, but the plants are still growing!

Some things are coming to an end as they do, the tomatoes, courgettes and strawberries are definitely slowing down and stopping production. I am giving the beds a good tidy up ready for the next crop.

I am determined this year to be more successful with my succession planting and cropping. I was a bit late getting organised last year and that affected everything. I have reflected on that and are getting myself more organised, working out when I need to have seeds etc ordered by to allow for sowing of seeds to be ready for planting.

I was looking around online for garlic seed/cloves as I was a little late last year and couldn't really get what I wanted. There were a few sites that I found that I had never heard of before. One of them was CountryTrading  Company from Nelson and I am very impressed with their range. But I am getting ahead of myself. I was looking in particular for elephant garlic. I used to purchase mine for eating from the Whangarei Growers Market but have never previously grown it myself.

I was determined that I would indeed grow some this year, however Country Trading Company were out of stock, which was what I was pretty much expecting. They did however have the facility that I could be emailed when they came back into stock, I dutifully filled out the required information. Over the weekend I received an email saying that the elephant garlic was in stock. So I ordered some!


This came by courier this morning, within a couple of days of my ordering it. I am very impressed with the timely manner and the condition of the bulbs. Check Country Trading Company out here.

Please comment on your favourite seed purchasing company in the comments section below as I love getting your comments.

Happy gardening everyone.



No comments:

Post a Comment